Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Headache Log : Verapamil

It was never perfect.  As I mentioned, I was still having more headaches than the neurologist wanted me to have.  She said that I should only have 1 or 2 a month and I was averaging 3 a week.  Sometimes I could go for 10 days without a headache and sometimes I'd have one every day for an entire week.  But I felt like they were manageable so I didn't complain.

When I moved to Layton I renewed my prescription with my new doctor.  He too was upset that the Verapamil wasn't working better.  But didn't really suggest any alternatives.  Well, that's not entirely true - he suggest we look into one option - removing my tonsils.  Said it MAY provide relief.  Thought that my migraines may be a result of sleep apnea and we could do a sleep study where I come into the hospital and sleep attached to a bunch of tubes for a few nights to test my blood oxygen levels for a few nights to see if this is true.  Obviously I'm concerned about cost.  But I'm also concerned - how much sleep will I actually get if I'm connected to a whole bunch of tubes all night long?  And in addition to that - remember the neurologist I visited years ago?  She had a big beautiful chart hanging in her office about the signs and symptoms of sleep apnea and how they relate to headaches - I have none of these.

The doctor also warns that at my age it would be very dangerous.  I didn't believe it was worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment