Friday, March 11, 2011

Headache Log : The Young Doctor

Determined to find a new primary care physician so I didn't have to drive an hour to my previous one and so I didn't have to wait a month as a "new patient" to see one, I decided to be a little proactive.  Besides, if someone could please give me some sort of drug to help me - that would be AWESOME!  I still have 10 days I have to survive before I get to the neurologist.

I find a young doctor fresh out of medical school with an opening the very next day.  I'm naive enough to take it.  He's inexperienced enough to prescribe Almotrex - even after I tell him I can't take Imitrex or Zomig.

He also suggests I double my Topomax intake.

A very wise pharmacist instructs me that almotrex is a triptan - almotriptan - just like Imitrex and Zomig.  And he's very concerned about what will happen if I take it.
Whew!  What a relief!  I didn't want to spend $70 on pills that were just going to make my head hurt worse anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment