Friday, March 25, 2011

Headache Log : Sleep Habits

One of the first things the PT assistant did on my first visit was give me instruction on how to sleep to avoid aggravating any injury or pain in my neck and shoulders. 
"Do you wake up often during the night?"
"No," I answer.
She asked me if I ever wake up with pain or tingling in my arms.  Again, no.  And to be perfectly honest with you all, with the exception of my headache, I sleep virtually pain free. 

Sleep on my back or side.  (Not on my stomach).  And if I sleep on my side I have to have a pillow under my arm to keep my shoulders in alignment.

The first night I had the worst time sleeping.  Rolling from side to side when I got uncomfortable was incredibly difficult with the large pillow I had.  Need to find a smaller pillow.  Also, I was so nervous about whether or not I was sleeping "correctly" that I don't think I relaxed all night!  I woke up feeling like my entire body was in knots.

Second night - found a smaller pillow - seems to be the PERFECT size!  But woke up with pain in my shoulders, knees, middle of my back, between my shoulder blades.  ARGH!

Night after night after night, I woke up repeatedly though out the night with pain in my arms, shoulders, knees, back, etc. 

Last night I decided I'd had it.  I'm going back to what's comfortable.  I tossed the pillow aside and I slept on my stomach or side or wherever I wanted.  I slept great and I didn't wake up once!  And when my alarm went off this morning - no pain!!!  (Well…..except that constant one in my head.)


Disclaimer - considering that I want to be a PT someday I am not condoning or suggesting that anyone should ignore or disregard the advice of his/her PT.  And I will certainly be talking to mine about my sleeping issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment