Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Headache Log: The Chiropractor

I am about 20 seeing a chiropractor for some problems with my lower back.  He has been treating me for a few weeks, but what I haven't disclosed to him is that I've had a severe headache for the past week that absolutely will not go away with the use of any medications.  I can't seem to get any relief.   I've been nonfunctional for nearly that entire time.  He finds out today.  I have ALWAYS been sensitive with my neck.  He usually has a difficult time getting me to relax enough to let him adjust it.  He won't be the only chiropractor with this problem.  In fact, in the future, many will decide not to adjust my neck at all.  The moment they touch my neck I seem to freak and every muscle tenses.  (I seem to have a similar issue with dentists.)
He massages my neck, eventually gets it to relax enough that he can adjust it, then massages it more.  Eventually he starts working some pressure points.  Excruciating pain.  Sharp stabbing pain as he pushes on those points.  And then ... relief.  Headache completely gone.  The headache that I've had for a week, the headache that drugs wouldn't touch, is completely gone.   And I won't see it again for a few months.

I wish I could say I've found this sort of relief from my headaches again from chiropractic visits or massages or acupressure, but I have not. 

Also, Uncle Tab is the only dentist so far not to cause me muscle spasms in my neck, back, and shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment