Saturday, March 26, 2011

Headache Log : Migraines & Strokes


So I was looking on the internet .....
I know, that's not always the best source.  But it's so difficult at times to get answers from a doctor - especially without an appointment.  And even then they often seem so rushed. 

So I was looking on the internet at a site that is all about migraines and headaches and I saw a link regarding migraines and strokes.  Well, since I have migraines and am about to get some tests run to ensure I'm not susceptible to a stoke it really caught my attention. 

I learned that people who suffer from migraines are more likely to have a stroke.  The good news is that migraineurs (as we're called) have more warning signs of an impending stroke than most people - one of those warning signs being the migraine itself.  So the bad news is that the migraineurs who are the most susceptible to suffer a stroke are those who get a migraine without a visual aura.   I've never had a visual aura with my migraines.  :(

1 comment:

  1. So when I have a migraine... I get tunnel vision before it hits (which is kind of good because I usually have time to dope up on Extra Strength Excedrin and head for a dark room. I can't imagine what it is like for you to not only constantly be dealing with them, but to have no warning signals. Hang in there Maria, I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete