Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Headache Log : Physical Therapy

If this had been my only personal experience with physical therapy I may not be where I am today (torturing myself with 3-4 long, hard years of undergrad followed by 3 even longer and harder years of grad school to become a physical therapist).

The physical therapist told me that I had a lot of flexibility in my neck; probably too much flexibility in my neck.  (Actually, many chiropractors would also tell me later on that my neck was very flexible).  According to my PT it was this extra flexibility that was causing my headaches.  For the first several weeks I went in and let him work on my neck (remember I have serious issues with anyone touching my neck).  We did exercises, stretches, tried to build strength, etc.  Everyday I left that office with a massive headache that would last two days.  This became even more apparent as my preventative medications started to kick in and the headaches began to go away.  I would have two or three pain free days, then a PT session, massive migraine as soon as my PT session started and it would last for 2 days.  Then I would be pain free for two or three days until my next PT session.

After about 5 weeks I dropped out of physical therapy and had my first pain free week in over a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment