Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Headache Log : Any Drug I Want

So the day of my last post, Thursday, April 28, was my fourth day in a row with a migraine.  The pain in my head was one thing, but the stabbing pain behind my left eye and in my temple was unbearable.  Finally at lunch time, shortly after my post, I gave in and took myself to an Instacare.  What an interesting experience!

Determined not to be treated like another migraine sufferer and given a shot or prescribed a triptan drug that I can't take I decided not to tell them I had a migraine, but tell them I had a severe headache with stabbing pain behind my eye.  Well ..... that may not have been the best approach either.  The nurse put me through a series of tests to make sure my eyes were functioning normally and my vision was not impaired. 

Finally saw the doctor, he checked my eyes as well.  And at that point I gave in and told him I was a frequent migraine sufferer and was on my fourth day with this particular migraine.  He was a little concerned about the stabbing pain behind my eye, thinking it to be a new symptom.  Then I explained that I get it often.  Not with every migraine, but it's not uncommon.

Then things got interesting.  He asked what I wanted him to do. 
I said, "I'm in pain.  I have been for four days.  I need help."
He said, "I'm just a general physician.  You need a neurologist."
I said, "I'm currently under the care of neurologist, but I can't just drop into his office like I can an instacare or an emergency room and I don't think I can take this much longer."
He asked, "What do you want? A shot?  A prescription?"
I explained that the shots don't work, unless there's one I don't know about.  And triptans don't work either. 
He asked, "Do you want a painkiller?"
"If you think that will work?"
"What do you want me to get you?"

WOW!  Really?  How about some medicinal marijuana?  Can you get me that?  Or how about morphine or vicadin? 

I explained that I was there because I didn't really know what my options were. 
He asked what had worked in the past.
I told him fioricet had worked for a time.  And recently it's been intermittent. 
He suggested fioricet with codeine.  Add a narcotic to my barbituate and maybe I'd find some relief.

The first dose didn't do it for me, but the second one did.  YAY!
Of course, I can't take it while I'm at work or at school or need to do any driving so it does pose some potential problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment