Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cymbalta Side Effect?

Sometimes I worry about reading the potential side effects of a medication because then I may experience them simply because I expect them.   Like a placebo - sort of.
But I looked up the side effects of Cymbalta anyway and I saw insomnia.  Well, as you know, my faithful blog reader(s), I am suffering from insomnia.
I have never had heartburn in my life until about a year ago.  And then ONLY when I took a peppermint pill for my tummy.  But for the last two months I've had heartburn quite often.  I tried to identify what it was - was it caffeine, was it chocolate, was it spicy foods?  It almost didn't seem to matter.  I'd get it on an empty stomach.  Everything but water gave me heartburn.
I learned in physiology the difference between all the heartburn medications and which was the weakest and which was the strongest.  So I went to the pharmacy and picked up the strongest heartburn medication available.  It was even a time release one so that it would work all day.  It didn't help.
When I had I looked up side effects of Cymbalta, there it was - heartburn. 

I've been having a most interesting issue with my stomach and esophogus and chest the past month or so.  Whenever I eat (it doesn't matter what, it doesn't matter how much) I get that feeling like something is stuck at the bottom of my esophogus and top of my stomach.  Each swallow - stuck.  I knew that it wasn't, but it was that sort of feeling.  Only this was painful and would radiate up my esophogus giving me pain in my chest.  It would only last a few seconds, but it was very irritating.  Then when I finished eating I'd have this pain that would start at what I imagine to be my esophogeal sphincter and would radiate up my esophogus.  It came in waves and could be quite painful.  It would last 10 or 15 mins after I finished eating.
This weekend I experienced it a few times and my chest hurt so bad I thought for a second - what if this is a heart attack?

This morning, after I ate breakfast, that pain was back - and with a vengeance!  I doubled over, I saw stars, it was hard to breathe, I was in tears and swearing like a sailor!  Each wave just a minute or two apart was excrutiating!  I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room.  And it lasted nearly two hours!  It slowly subsided after about an hour and fifteen minutes - enough so that I was no longer constantly thinking about where the nearest hospital was. 
I decided that since Cymbalta is quite possibly giving me heartburn, I'd look up the other side effects.  I saw "abdominal (stomach) pain" listed.  Well, that's not exactly informative.  What KIND of stomach pain?  What did it feel like?
I continued my search - this time turning to websites that were not drug specific - and I found a blog that's meant to be a support to those suffering from depression.  It had postings about antidepressant medications and the side effects people had suffered.  One woman posted "Ever since starting Cymbalta several weeks ago I have had horrible heartburn.... There are times when the pain in my chest is just a huge pain in the center of my chest. It gets so bad that I take the Extra Strength Vicodin that is prescribed for my disk degeneration". 
YIKES!
So I called my neurologists PA and told her about my experience and that I wonder if maybe it's from the Cymbalta.  Well, I'm going off Cymbalta immediately to see if this stomach/esophogus problem goes away.

1 comment:

  1. THis has just got to be the pits, when the cures need cures. Where is it? Where is the majic pill that will change your life? I feel absolutly hopeless when I can't help in anyway. Just know I am thinking of you.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete