Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Massage

Let me tell you about the  most professional, most caring, most amazing massage therapist I've ever been to.  His name is Garret Sueltz at Studio 603 in Draper (801-571-5331).  Yes he was so good that I am going to give him a plug.  If you live near Draper or don't mind driving to Draper for a massage, he is well worth the drive and well worth the money.
I had a Groupon for a 60 min massage at Studio 603 which is how I came across Garret.  I was the last client of the day.  When I went in Garret asked me why I had come to see him.  I explained that I have chronic headaches and frequent migraines.  He asked if I wanted him to focus on my back, neck and shoulders and I said yes.  If he could get that worked out then he'd move on.  Otherwise he'd spend all of his time there, he explained.  He asked if he could do a deep tissue massage to which I gave him a very affirmative yes.  I love deep tissue massage (I'm not one for the nice relaxing Swedish style massages - I want it to "hurt so good"). 
Garret began to explain what he was going to do, where he would massage, and warn me that it will hurt.  The muscles that need the most work are very deep, but also, they sit right on top of a bunch of nerve bundles.  And then the usual - let me know if it hurts too much.  I think only one time have I ever told anyone it hurts too much.  You can have me in tears (and some have) and I won't tell you it hurts too much.  I know pain - I deal with it all the time.  A deep painful massage is the type of pain that I know will come to an end in just a few minutes when the therapist moves on to another muscle or body part so I will just take it.  Also, I know that it's a healing pain. 
So Garret works and works and works; knots in my muscles are popping, I am cringing, pain is shooting all the way down my arms when he works on my shoulders.  But Garret keeps plugging away.  Knot after knot after knot gets massaged and pushed on and stretched out.  He was determined to get everyone of those knots out and those muscles relaxed. 
I am laying there thinking - this is the longest massage I've ever had!  Or does it just feel that way because of how much pain it's causing me?  Or is it because we're working on only a portion of my body and I can usually gauge how much time I have left by what body part they've moved on to or if they've asked me to roll over?
In the end it was the longest massage I've ever had.  When I looked at the clock I noticed that Garret had given me a 90 min massage for about the price of a 30 minute massage.  He didn't charge me extra, didn't even say anything about going over the time.  He was so determined to help me, to relax my muscles, to remove those "toxins" from my body, to get those painful knots out that he just kept going.  That's why I say he was the most caring and most amazing massage therapist I've ever been to.  I don't think he ever looked at the clock and he certainly never had a timer going. 
He's also the first massage therapist to ever massage my stomach and my face.  Incredible!
When I took a massage course at the age of 18 from the college of massage therapy they taught me to massage the stomach.  But I've never actually had anyone do it until Garret.  Another reason I think he's amazing.
And then in the end when it was finished he showed me stretches to do for the muscles that were massaged and for complimentary muscles.  This is why I think he is the most professional massage therapist I've ever been to.  It wasn't just a massage to him, it was a therapy session. 
He told me that I'd need a follow-up massage in about 3 weeks when those knots and muscles would be more pliable and gave me a coupon for 50% off my next one in case I wanted to return to him for that follow-up.

So, again, Garret Sueltz at Studio 603 in Draper (801-571-5331). 

No comments:

Post a Comment