Tuesday, May 31, 2011

D.O.

I have always been a fan of the idea of going to a doctor of osteopathy.  (A DO takes a very whole body approach to medicine).  Two of my best friends recently went to Dr. Stuart Porter, DO and I heard great things from both of them about him.
Thursday, I got to visit with him.  What an amazing difference between virtually every MD I've visited with and this DO.
First of all, I'm not sure if I can call what I've done with MD's "visiting".  I see them for about 10 minutes and they ask few questions other than what are your symptoms.  Don't you care about the extensive medical history and list of medications I just spent 30 minutes filling out for you?  Didn't your nurse write down all my symptoms when she asked me 15 minutes ago what they were?  And didn't you hear me when that I told you that "triptans" don't work, in fact they make my migraines much worse? So why are you now prescribing me a triptan? 

I spent about 3 minutes with what I assume was his nurse - she took my weight, temperaure, and blood pressure.  Then I spent about 30 or 45 minutes with the doctor.  That's right - I had him all to myself for more than half an hour!  And that extensive family history and medical history form I filled out.  He looked at it.  Right in front of me.  Ask me questions about it.  Then he went through an even more extensive questionaire which included things like, "how are you sleeping?", "do you feel fatigued during the day?", "do you suffer from seasonal allergies?", "do you crave sweets?", "how often are you menstruating?" (not just what is the date of your last period).  With certain answers that I gave him, he would then explain how that may or may not help with the headaches. Finally, he wanted to perform an allergy test on 13 known and common food allergens.  And explained that sometimes you have a food allergy that goes unnoticed because it doesn't give you a stomach ache or make you feel the same way you do with other allergies.  Also, he wants to test all of my hormones and also my Vitamin D levels.
This is where I stop him - oh, I've already had a Vitamin D test ran and the results came back that I am fine.
He says that he's going to run it again because headaches are a result of low Vitamin D levels.  And what the lab says are "fine" are not fine to him.  The lab will approve Vitamin D levels above 32, but he considers anything lower than 50 as too low.  And for someone suffering from headaches it best to have them closer to 100. 
Just as we're about to wrap up he sees the paperwork I had my neurologist send over.  What's this?  I tell him what it is and he says, "let's see if your Vitamin D test results are in here."
Sure enough.  And you know what my "fine" level is?  32.5 
So I'm taking Vitamin D, but he also recomended a few others. 
Follow-up in two weeks when we'll have the results back of my hormone and food allergy tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment