Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Keppra

The Verapamil was a no go.  Perhaps I was being overly optimistic that it would work.  Perhaps I am still overly optimistic that anything will work.  Not ready to give up hope yet (although I do have my days).

Tried Keppra for 8 weeks.  I experienced virtually no change.  I look back on my journal and I see a week where I was headache free, but I think that it may have been a reporting error more than anything else.  I was transitioning into a new job, while still working at my old job and I think I just forgot to always log when I had a headache and it's severity.  (It's hard enough to remember when I don't have life changes happening.)

Called the doctor last week to report that the Keppra wasn't working and I was ready for something else.  When he prescribed the Keppra 9 or so weeks ago he wanted me to know that we hadn't quite exhausted all of our options.  But that he completely understood if I chose to pursue another avenue with another doctor.  I thought that was nice of him.  When he found out I had visited the horrible doctor at the University (the so-called "expert") I felt a little like I'd betrayed him so this was nice to hear.  I know, it's silly of me, but when I've been seeing someone for over a year - even in a professional manner like this - I feel some sort of loyalty to him/her.

Keppra dosage has been upped.  I guess that was his next plan of attack.  Will it work?  I'm not one bit optimistic about it (although I admittedly refilled the prescription anyway).  Looks like I'm doctor shopping again.  What avenue to try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment